Rob has been head of the Parlee McLaws LLP Labour and Employment Group for over 20 years and has extensive experience in the practice of labour and employment law. Rob advises a wide variety of federally and provincially regulated clients on labour and employment matters including grievance arbitrations, Part III Canada Labour Code adjudications, human rights complaints and hearings, wrongful dismissal litigation, dismissal planning, collective bargaining, privacy complaint hearings, defence of occupational health and safety prosecutions, workers’ compensation issues, and the development of employment contracts and personnel policies.
Rob’s trial and appeal experience is extensive and he has appeared before every level of Court in Alberta. In addition, Rob has comprehensive knowledge of, and experience in, extra-judicial dispute resolution processes, including mediation, judicial dispute resolution, and arbitration.
Rob’s clientele include many public and non-public Alberta based and national companies. He also acts for a number of secondary and post-secondary educational institutions, and a number of non-profit organizations.
- Member, Edmonton Bar Association
- Member, Canadian Bar Association (Labour and Employment Law Section)
- Past member of the Canadian Pipeline Arbitration Secretariat Committee
- Past Member of the Cross Cancer Hospital fundraising committee
- Board Member of the Edmonton Junior Golf Association
- Past Member of the Tennis Canada Council of Provinces
- Board Member and Past President of the Alberta Tennis Association
- Past Director of WRI WorkRight Inc., a not for profit enterprise operating to obtain work opportunities for refugees
- Past Director of Cornerstone Counselling Centre, a not for profit family and youth counselling organization
- Past Director of ABC Head Start, a multi-disciplinary not for profit agency providing educational support to low income families with children ages 3 to 5 years
- Current Counsel for the Edmonton Sexual Assault Centre