Michael joined Parlee McLaws as an associate in 2020 following the completion of his articles with the firm. Michael’s practice focuses on civil litigation. During his articling year, Michael gained experience with insurance litigation, general civil litigation, construction litigation, and labour and employment matters. Michael has appeared on behalf of clients in the Alberta Court of Queen’s Bench and The Provincial Court of Alberta.
Michael’s primary goal is to help clients obtain practical and cost effective resolutions to their legal matters. Prior to joining Parlee McLaws Michael gained diverse client service experience across multiple sectors.
While attending law school, Michael merged his interests in sports and the law as Michael participated twice in the Hockey Arbitration Competition of Canada, served as a research assistant on a project evaluating the corporate governance practices of various Canadian National Sport Organizations, and wrote a major paper analyzing the role of exculpatory releases and liability exposure in the context of amateur recreation and adventure tourism. Michael also acted as a student clinician in the Community Legal Clinic, volunteered with numerous access to justice related initiatives, and served a term as the Academic Director of the Society of Law Students. Michael won multiple academic awards and was elected Valedictorian of his graduating class.
Prior to attending law school Michael worked for Statistics Canada as a recruitment clerk for the 2016 Census. In 2015 Michael received a Bachelor of Arts (Honours) with First Class Standing from the University of Calgary.
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Calgary Bar Association
- Member, The Advocates’ Society
- Dean’s List, Faculty of Law, Thompson Rivers University, 2018, 2019
- Baker Newby LLP Scholarship, Fall 2018
- Dean’s Court Prize, Advanced Advocacy, Winter 2018
- Dean’s Course Prize, Advanced Legal Research, Fall 2017
- Dean’s List, Faculty of Arts, University of Calgary, 2013, 2014, 2015
- Louise McKinney Scholarship, 2015
- Pro Bono Law Alberta – Amicus Volunteer Lawyer