Karen is an experienced senior lawyer who articled with the Ontario Court of Appeal to the Chief Justice of Ontario and practiced with a large law firm in Toronto. She joined Parlee McLaws in 1993. Her main area of practice is civil litigation with a strong emphasis on professional regulatory work. Karen has a diverse background working with a variety of clients and acts on behalf of numerous colleges and associations (including the Alberta College of Social Workers) as lead legal counsel, and with other tribunals and professionals dealing with matters as independent counsel and responding on behalf of regulated members to regulatory processes. She has appeared before all levels of court, including Courts of Appeal and numerous administrative tribunals. Karen is also experienced in mediations and arbitrations having been involved in more than 300 such processes. Karen is the senior lawyer responsible for the Wills and Estates Practice Group.
Karen has been a sessional instructor with the University of Alberta, Faculty of Law since 2008. She presently teaches in the areas of Advocacy and Professional Responsibility and Ethics.
• Member, Canadian Trial Lawyers Association
• Member, Edmonton Bar Association
• Founder and Board of Directors, Chicks with Cheques – a charitable organization which meets quarterly to provide designated charities on a most deserving donation. Over the past two years over ten different charities have shared in the amount of $250,000.00. Additional chapters of this organization are being developed.
• Karen is presently the EIYSA (Edmonton Interdistrict Youth Soccer Association) Discipline Commissioner involved in general governance and discipline for the youth soccer association.
• Regular speaker at CBA lunches on the issues of mentorship, professional responsibility and regulatory matters.
• Active on the Edmonton Student Committee for recruitment, hiring and development of summer students and articling students.
Karen sits on several community boards and is involved in her church and various not for profit volunteer organizations.